Every year we have lots of customers (mostly men we have to say) who are desperately trying to find that one gift that the love of their life will make her Christmas Day.
Its not an easy task unless she has actually seen the exact item in a shop, a catalogue or online. Here are a few good tips though……
1. If she has mentioned a ring for example, then the first thing is to try to discover what stone she would like. For example if she has said she would like a green stone, well is this an emerald, a jade, or something else. If its going to be a surprise its better to be a bit clever and try to find out what she has been looking at. If an emerald, with diamonds, or just on its own.
2. Ok, she says its an emerald with diamonds. A cluster? An eternity (half hoop), or a three stone? Take a trip to town a just browse a notice what she seems to like.
3. If she is pointing out rings well over your budget, then see what there is on line or even pre-owned, you may find a bargain. Or find a company that offer interest free credit- many do.
4. If she is going to wear on a finger with another ring, note what ring it is she has on her finger. It should be the same carat and colour of gold, an then there is the finger size- a minefield!! If you can spirit a ring away from her a get it measured all well and good. But beware, a wide silver ring she wears occasionally may not be the right size if you are buying a three stone gem ring as the narrower the band the small the size required. So if the wide ring is an O, you will probably need an M or N.
5. Now where are you going to buy it from? If you are unsure if the ring will be right for her, then avoid auctions, you cannot take it back. EBay can be OK, but check returns policy. Most online are ok if reputable. A jewellery shop has to be best of course, as most have a full refund policy.
We at Charles Hart and Vintage Tom offer a full exchange or no quibble refund policy. Our store has many new rings, and our Vintage Tom online business offers many pre-owned and vintage pieces. Also, very competitive prices and always open to discussion with any sensible offer. Full appraisals for your insurance company, gift box and a years interest free credit on most items over £500.
Good luck, and remember, we are always here to help- thats what good jewellers do!