The Attraction Of Earrings
Men and women have been wearing earrings for centuries, usually to improve their appearance. Not much has changed over the years. However, why do people like to wear these adornments?
What is the attraction of jewellery adornments?
Like many other people, you may have probably also wondered why it is that women love adornments and jewellery? Is it because ornaments add that finishing touch to their look, without which, even the most expensive, most fashionable outfit they wear can look dull and drab?
The one adornment that women have worn for centuries, is earrings, one of the main reasons being that they are close to the face and make the wearer look attractive.
Earrings are the perfect piece of jewellery for women of all ages because they enhance those feelings of womanhood and femininity.
Earrings have been worn for centuries, and, according to records, it was men who first underwent ear piercings! It was not long afterwards, that women also began piercing their ears, and it has remained this way until today.
Reasons Why People Wear Earrings
There are several reasons why people choose to wear earrings, including:
- Beauty – looking and feeling good is important to most women and also many men and wearing a pair of stunning earrings is an effortless way to enhance the way they look. The right pair of earrings can bring the wearer’s personality to the fore, add a pop of colour to their outfit, and make them look trendy and fashionable.
- Culture – apart from wearing earrings for aesthetic reasons, some people wear them for cultural and religious reasons. In some cultures, for instance, it is a necessity for women to be adorned with earrings to define their feminine aura. Married women in other cultures are expected to wear earrings or other pieces of jewellery all the time, as an indication that they are married.
- Superstition – while earrings have been worn over the centuries mainly for cultural or aesthetic reasons, there were times when they were associated with certain superstitious beliefs. Many people believed that earrings were powerful enough to ward off evil eyes and evil spirits. Sailors too, thought that earrings were good luck charms that would save them from drowning when they were at sea.
- Status Symbol – for many women, the type of earrings they wear are a status symbol, especially gold earrings encrusted with diamonds. They wear these extremely expensive earrings with everyday clothing, to show everyone that they belong to the elite class of society. The gold and diamond earrings are a display of the strength and power that they enjoy by being a part of the elite. Pearls too, are symbols of high social standing and pearl earrings are frequently seen adorning the ears of royalty and others of high social standing.
- Religion – certain religions encourage their women to wear adornments, especially gold ornaments, in the form of earrings, to add charm to their personality, and exhibit their strength and femininity to those around them.
- Scientific – apart from enhancing your beauty, earrings also provide certain health benefits as well, such as:
- Vision – if you have poor eyesight, then you might want to have your ears pierced. When the centre of your ear lobe is pierced, pressure points directly associated with your vision are activated and can improve poor vision.
- Increased Immunity – it is not only poor vision that is improved when the centre of the earlobe is pierced, but this action makes the body react the same as it would with acupuncture and helps to improve the immunity by getting rid of negative energies in the body.
- Healthy Reproductive System – having your ears pierced is believed to increase your vibrancy. The reproductive system is linked to the left ear, and this link is particularly strong in women by helping them to keep the health of their reproductive organs maintained.
Earrings With Gemstones Have Therapeutic Properties
Apart from gemstones being precious and valuable, it has been known for years that they have certain healing powers. People who wear earrings that contain certain gemstones, enjoy healing and spiritual benefits.
There is plenty of evidence that gemstones were used for their healing powers in civilisations from centuries ago.
In India, doctors used gemstones as a part of their Ayurvedic treatment, by placing the precious stones on their patient’s body to heal those parts where the patient was experiencing pain.
Why Do Girls Wear Earrings?
One of the main reasons why girls wear earrings is to show off their femininity, which seems to be the norm since most women wear earrings. Some girls and women cannot have their ears pierced or wear earrings because of certain skin issues.
However, there are several other reasons why girls wear earrings. For example:
- Self-confidence – some women are unable to leave the house without wearing earrings because of the boost of confidence they have when wearing these pieces of jewellery
- Acupuncture – ear piercing was an acupuncture practice in ancient China and was used to treat a variety of ailments. It was used not only to make women look and feel more attractive but also as a treatment for medical issues related to their sex organs.
- Menstrual Issues – in Western medicine, the left ear is pierced if a woman has menstrual problems.
We can consider from this point of view, therefore, that piercing the ears and wearing earrings provides many benefits for a person’s overall health.
Earrings are beautiful adornments that can make a person, both male and female, look glamorous in an instant.
Being one of the most popular pieces of jewellery, earrings can be seen adorning the lobes of men and women every day.
Made from all types of materials, from cheap plastics and fabrics to extremely expensive earrings made from precious metals and gemstones.
There is little doubt that earrings are here to stay and will always be in style. With the enormous variety available to choose from, you are guaranteed to find the pair that suits you and your personality, perfectly!
We offer diamond earrings from our diamond basics range to elaborate antique
aquamarine marine diamond cluster earrings and everything in between.